View Single Post
Old 07-12-09, 07:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
This is a 9-speed setup. The wheels, crankset, derailleurs, and brifters were all working perfectly on the previous bike they lived on. I will look to see if the left brifter has a micro-shift mode. I'd love to find it, if it exists.

Basically, the problem is that there are three positions for the left brifter, and they are all too close together. The low setting doesn't go low enough, and the high one doesn't go high enough. Setting the limit screws, as described by the video that u2chin cited, doesn't seem to help. Cable travel is inadequate, and that seems to be the brifter's fault, not the adjustments on the derailleur.

And this is true not just on this bike. I see it on a lot of bikes, and I figure I need to know some trick, but I haven't found it yet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.