Old 07-13-09, 12:30 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Compare last year's Tour average speed to the average speed of the 1960 Tour. Then allow for what you feel is the difference of better training, better nutrition/hydration, real time biometric monitoring, better support, aerodynamic kit, the use of race radios and computers, increased specialization, far better roads, better tires, and basically all the thousand and one other things that have changed (even things like air conditioned team buses/cars/hotels). The difference you're left with is the difference better bikes have made in the last 50 Tours.

Just a thought,
tcs
well maybe i should have said "many, many years" and "noticeable improvements." i'm not so much talking about weight or aero tubing, but i don't think anyone can deny the improvements of deraillers, brifters, clipless pedals, and things like TT bars for the time trials. there are also more minute things like double-pivot brakes (over center pull) and improved brake surfaces for decending and better tires, as you already mentioned. bikes didn't improve near as much over the past 50 years as they did the 50 prior to that, but over those 100 combined we have a completely different machine.

i don't think anyone could say that if you put astana on a fleet of these that they would still be the team to beat.