trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan
Remember also that cars make those turns b/c they know the lane is clear. If a car was in your position, it would not likely get clipped. If you are positioned IN the lane and are visible (this is a perfect situation that warrants day-glo clothing) then they should see you and take the turn more carefully.
Why yes, they should, shouldn't they.

Well, you can take should and jam it up your arse, sideways.

This, IMO, is the kind of hardcore VCer attitude that gets folks dead.

I don't give a rat's arse what you wear, if you rely on the idea that you WILL be seen, if you wear bright lime green and aggressively assert your rights as a vehicle, there is a distinct chance that chuck darwin will take you out sooner or later. I do not care how bright that vest or dinotte brigher than the sun blinky is, if a 17 year old is texting as she takes that left turn, you and your neon vest are likely to get aquainted with her oil pan.

Watching joey bike's videos on this sort of thing has convinced me further that this is the case.

When riding in traffic, I like invoke the "Ray Charles rule" (I just made that up) Make believe every last stinking cage around you is piloted by Ray Charles and ride accordingly. When approaching dangerous intersections, make it Ray Charles circa 1962 and he's on a really bad heroin trip.

This is a slight exaggeration. I will at times take the lane with the hope that Ray's got someone riding shotgun to say "Ray, watch out for that bike!!!!"

To the OP.... 1/4 mile huh?

Wow.

How's about you pack an extra water bottle and a few sandwiches and make that safer trek?