View Single Post
Old 07-15-09, 08:08 AM
biscuit_burner

Bikes: Road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drew - thanks for the response. As for my riding capability, I ride my bike to work 2-3 times per week. This means the 32 mile round trip is broken by a 9 hr 'break' while at work so it is really two 16 mile trips on the same day. On the weekends I ride 30-45 miles in one trip without stopping.

I like the idea to “screw what others think” but when you are ‘unthin’ and a slow rider there is a certain meekness/intimidation factor when around fit people. While I certainly do not expect people to point and whisper, there is a self imposed uneasiness. I know this is just all just stupid thoughts in my head. The truth is others really don’t care one bit what I look like. This may sound strange but this lack of caring comforts me and sort of gives me courage.

I have not done any kind of group ride before - always solo rides. I think I may pass on this event this year. I may go to the event (that means drive by) and just see what type of people are there and then decide if I want to participate next year. I know thinness will bring more confidence. However, the flaw in this mindset is what is ‘thin enough’ vs the benefits of social participation and exercise. I guess I should just force myself to go.