Old 07-15-09, 10:04 PM
Dion Rides

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
1st impression - Omnium Crankset a.k.a. I got stung on the top of my head by a bee...

My ride: 54cm Motobecane Messenger (nothing left is stock except for the seat post clamp and headset)

Today's Excursion: 26 miles; average speed (with stops, starts, slow downs, and climbs) 17MPH, top speed 30 MPH, 4 climbs, 48/16 gear ratio, fastest sprint 25 MPH from a stop.

Installation: Having experienced a hollow crankset install on my road bike, I already knew how to put this on. I had to spend $35 for both my bikes to have the BB casing faced, but it's better than ruining a nice BB. Full installation only took 30 min. and that included taking off my old, stock Touro cranks.

Impression: I wasn't sure if dropping the two bills for this crankset was going to be worth it. It was a toss up between the FSA carbon cranks or the Paul Pure Royal cranks - but I read the reviews of the Omniums and they were good. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they felt. The 4130 steel frame already flexes (which makes for a great ride) but I don't like flex in my cranks - and that's what the Omniums accomplished: no flex. I'm a real stickler for dialing in my bikes, so I paid real close attention to the flex factor on these and the subtle change was great. As far as weight is concerned, I only dropped 1/2 lb. but I'm not really a weight weenie. I guess that was cool - but no big deal.

If you're a track rider or into big performance, I would recommend these. However, if you're more casual, then going with a mid range Sugino (or similar) crankset would suit you fine.

*On my ride today, a stupid bee flew into one of my helmet vents and stung the top of my shaved head. B@st@rd!

Last edited by Dion Rides; 07-15-09 at 10:12 PM.