View Single Post
Old 07-16-09, 02:51 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by snjfisk
thats a nice set up. Guy at a shop told me to watch out on a small frame if you raise the seat post to high. It has a marking on it giving it the max height it should be raised. To high and it is at an increased risk of breaking, specially if it carbon??? I was fitted at another shop and a 58cm frame is just about right I think. Given my arm length a top tube length of around 58cm is correct.
The standard seat post on most bikes will allow a certain amount of height adjustment- but the Shop was right to tell you that you cannot go above the marking and still be safe- but you can always fit a longer seat post.

And to prove the point- The Bianchi attached fits me perfectly. I know this is an MTB and the "Fit" frame size is smaller than on a road bike- but The next size up to a 16" was too large. This is a 14 1/2 frame and I get a lot of comments about it looking too small. That is untill they see me riding it and they have to agree- it is the right size.

And to go even worse- I ride an offroad tandem. I am 5'6" short and my Co-rider is 6'2" The frame is a Large/medium and I can- with just a change of saddle height- ride on the front or the back. Mind you- if I was permanently on the front I would lower the bars an inch or so.

And just to confuse you- I ride the 14 1/2" bianchi- a 16" raleigh- a 17" custom frame and a 19" Kona. All are MTB's and all have been adapted to fit me. Mainly because manufacturers have differing ways of measuring bikes but the difference between the Bianchi and the Kona is huge. But on all the bikes I can get the saddle height right- the bars at the right distance for me and at the right height. And they all ride beautifully and fit like a glove.

And given a choice- I would take a frame that is a size too small in preference to one that is just too big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi2.jpg (41.1 KB, 12 views)

Spike Milligan