StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 669 Posts
Originally Posted by kris cho
1) what's the difference between the training tires and racing tires?
A little or a lot. Generally speaking, wear and puncture resistance is the governing criteria for training tires. Rolling resistance and grip are important for racing. There is a world of tires that fit these criteria in various ways.

2) what do the numbers represent on the tire? (EX 27x1 1/4 or 700cc)
Tire size (diameter) needs to match the rim. Tire width needs to match the intended use and fit within the constraints of the frame/fork. I realize that's pretty vague. See this page for details.

3) recommendation for brand for training and amateur racing.(all weather)
I have tied Continental, Michelin and Vittoria. I had no specific complaints about any brand.

4) what material is good? nylon or steel?
Yes: steel, kevlar, rubber, cotton, proprietary plastics, synthetics are all good.

Good for one purpose, may detract performance characteristics in other places. I prefer folding clincher tires (kevlar, not steel bead), high tpi casing and a puncture resistant breaker. Many tires fit within this criteria.

5) do i need a specific tubes for the specific tires?
Other than sized correctly, no.

6) how thin of the tires is recommended for races?
I believe you mean narrow.
I don't recommend anything in particular but I would expect a large percentage to be 23c

7) i believe tread is need for training?
On car tires, the tread is often shaped to avoid hydroplaning. Road bike tires are narrow enough to make this characteristic unimportant.