Old 07-17-02, 03:15 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front fork lockouts. Novelty?

Looking at bikes recently I fell in love with the Lefty shock, as you do when you see it. Bike I'm getting has the Rock-Shok Psylo I think which seems to have good reviews. The rear shock Fox Float RL, I think it is, has a sort of lock out (not sure how rigid), but the front shock lets you adjust compression and rebound, but has no lock out, where the Lefty does have. I'm wondering if all round lock outs are still a novelty or if there are design considerations for not having them on the front shocks? It seems most rear shocks have a lock out, but very few front shocks do?

In a sense the rear shock lock out gives you a sort of crossover to a hardtail?

My LBS mentioned that the Lefty has been criticised in some magazines/reviews for not coping with big hits but that's no problem to me as I'm not in that league anyway. They did say, that having a full lock out would be very useful when your'e on the road and you want to have a rigid-like setup as you'd get on a road bike. He explained, that full sussers have a lot of bounce/bob and that under some conditions a fair chunk of your crank effort would be 'lost' to this phenomenon. What's your experience about this?