Old 07-17-09, 02:18 PM
jmcdowell

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got SMOKED!

So I'm riding the morning, and I run into a couple of road bikers. One is obviously experienced and the other more of a beginner. They were riding the same trail so I sort of fell in with them.
The more experienced one would take off up the trail and stop for the other. It's the first time I've been around anyone else on a bike, so I thought it was a decent measure of my improvement since I started riding almost a month ago.
I was faster than the newbie, and I could almost keep up with the other. Made me feel great. I don't know how the etiquette works, so I was trying to seem as though I was just riding on my own and not trying to match the faster one's pace and kept my distance. When the fast one stopped to wait, I just kept going. Did I do that right?

Then later, I had detoured, so I wasn't near them anymore, and I see this guy pull out on some sort of recumbent bike. It had 2 wheels in the back, 1 in front. It looked cool, so I thought I'd ask the man about it. Yeah right. I couldn't catch him. I stopped spinning and started pumping the pedals as fast and hard as I could, and he was still losing me. A glance at my speedo told me I was going 22 mph, so he must have been going at least 2 or 3 mph faster, maybe more, and this was on a slight incline. Eventually, I gave up. 10 minutes or so later, he must have looped, because he came flying past me. I didn't bother to try again.

I had no clue those bikes were so fast. I was seriously impressed.