View Single Post
Old 07-22-09, 08:38 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Best wishes to Jens Voigt

Jens took a hard fall on the final descent of yesterday's Tour de France stage. He hit the pavement at about 50mph, breaking a cheek bone and getting a concussion. He seems to be OK. Hard to hurt someone as tough as Jens. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voig...horrific-crash

Jens has always been one of my favorite pro bike racers, and the only one with whom I've drank a few beers. A couple of days after watching him edge out Lance Armstrong in a slugfest up Brasstown Bald in the 2004 Tour de Georgia, I attended an after-race party for the race staff and teams (I was a course marshal for the race that year). Jens and I found a lonely barrel of iced Heinekens and chatted our way through 3 beers each. He is a very friendly and likable person in contrast to his soul crushing performances on a bike. Ever since, during any pro race I watch, my wife always asks how my beer drinking buddy is doing.

Anyway, here's to a speedy recovery.