Old 07-22-09, 09:11 AM
Push
Zeusmeatball

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is a safe speed on knobby tires? does my weight make a diference in the answer?

Maybe an overly cautious question but at what speed should one be concerned about traction with knobby tires on paved roads? I ask because I live in a VERY hilly area and my entire ride whenever I go out is up hills and down hills with rarely a flat spot to be found and I am getting stronger on the bike and am challenging myself to bigger hills which of course means the coming back down part is getting greater and greater. as I was pedaling down (at first) a fairly big down hill part I was obviously gaining speed and when I got to about 35 mph I started to get those "what if _____ happened" thoughts and started in on the brakes to keep me around 27mph and now I am thinking about how fast is too fast on paved road with knobby tires and thought I would ask here (I think larger rider changes that "safe" speed so I chose this forum).

I have Kenda Klaw XT tires (these came on the bike) on currently and though the bike did not feel squirrely at all I cannot help but to think that these tires are not the best choice for speeds. I know that I should get some other kind of tire eventually (recommendations are welcomed but remember that I do ride on a short section of grass/dirt/bumpyish road) but for now I want to keep these on for the extra resistance as little as that may or may not be (I am using the bike to lose weight) and am just wondering at what speed should I try not to go over?

any and all responses will be appreciated.

Push