Thread: short rides?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-09, 12:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
I generally ride around 30 miles a day, except when I'm playing/doing other sports. I ride 5-6 times a week, plus commute daily.

Thirty miles is a nice ride, 45 is fun when I have the time, I try to go out for at least 25 or it kind of isn't worth it. I agree that I don't understand how some people have the time to ride 60-80 miles a day. I think they either are self-employed, retired, or very dedicated to cycling; I cycle as a fun hobby. I get bored with anything, even things I like, if I do them for more than two hours.

Wow, I can only imagine what it'll be like when I have things like you caloso. I'm holding steady at renting, girlfriend, no lawn care (though I love mowing lawns, my childhood job) and a few cats. I know it'll likely change, but as long as I stick with a plan, I'm able to ride 1-2 hours a day.

Part of the reason I decided to grab a new bike was that I figured my time will only get more constrained as I get older. Might as well be riding what I want right now.

Absolutely! You'll get to the point where your earning capacity allows you to buy pretty much any bike you want, but you won't have the time to ride it as much as you'd like.

But it's not too bad. As others have said, you can get pretty fit on rides of an hour or less if you use the time wisely. And since I'm more of a crit-dog and not much of a road racer, a 50 minute effort is plenty.