Thread: Getting Started
View Single Post
Old 07-22-09, 06:32 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Getting Started

I just turned 55. I've casually ridden over the years, until about 10 years ago when I rolled the bikes away and left them. A friend has been into road riding over the last few years and has urged me to start again.

The last several years I'd been motorcycling until about a year ago when I began having health issues related to pituitary issues. Modern medicine has me up and hopping again, and I've also sold the Yamahas.

SO. I dragged out my old bikes. An old cheap cruiser and a Raleigh 10 (12) speed. I've ordered new tires, tubes. etc. and should have them back in action by next week. The cruiser is sturdy and single speed and the Raleigh is just an old bike from the 80 or 90's I guess.

I pressurized the tire on the Cruiser and rode a few blocks. WOW. I forgot how exhilarating that was. I 'd have gone further, but there was a leak in the old rubber.

I'm really looking forward to getting into riding again. My plan is to build my legs and balance back up in the neighborhood on the single speed cruiser. After a few weeks, I'll try some short rides on the Raleigh and see where that goes. If I persevere, I may get a nicer bike next summer, but I never had any complaints on the Raleigh before so Ill see.

I am tickled to see a 50+ forum. I expect to learn a lot here. I look forward to a interest, I hope it sticks.

btw, my avatar is my pomeranian Sascha.