bendembroski
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
The most interesting thing to me is your impression of the Mezzo, way better than the Swift, right? That is really weird.

Other than that, probably the biggest 'factor' is bike 'feel'. Some bikes 'feel' just a lot better than others, and some of this 'feel' translates into actual numbers, but not all. The most readily called to mind 'feel factor' is tyre pressure. Even seasoned pros think that harder pressure tyres are faster than optimal pressure tyres, but tests show different. So you can't trust the feel 100%.

So my Swift 'feels' a whole lot faster than my Birdy (which is not that dissimilar to a Mezzo) but actual testing reveals only a small difference.

I rigid bike will feel a lot more responsive than a mushy one, but it ain't necessarily much faster. Likewise, a light bike will feel a lot faster than a heavy one, especially if the wheels are nice and light, but the overall picture may not be that different.
+1

I'd just add that, for me at least, 'feel' is the most most important factor when choosing a bike. I don't ride competitively, or with others all that much. I ride as a mode of transport, fitness, and the simple enjoyment of being on a bike. So, when I'm heading out the only thing that really matters is my overall experience on the bike. If the bike I'm on 'feels' mushy I'm not going to enjoy riding quickly as much as I would a 'snappier' bike; even if the mushy bike is actually faster. This is why, I'll grab my Swift over my other bikes 9 times out of 10. It just 'feels' better, and I don't really care how fast it actually is, as long as I get to where I'm going on time.

So, if you are looking for a folding bike that 'feels' more like a hipster fixie, I'd suggest a lightweight fixie hipster folder . There are some excellent fixed Swifts hiding in the forums.