Old 07-24-09, 03:44 AM
ch9862

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobd20011
[COLOR=black]An ugly aluminum cross bike with great components and an average frame vs. an extra $100 for a pretty steel frame that a lot of people are happy with, but lesser (maybe noticeable, maybe not) components.

I know that I am over thinking this, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
It sounds like you're relatively new to cycling, is that right? I'd say go with a bike that fits you. If you're not sure about Volpe, compare it with something else you can test ride locally - not with a mail order bike.

Bikesdirect bikes are great if you want to stretch your dollar as far as possible, but you need to know what you want and figure out sizing in advance. Or use it as source of parts and ditch the frame.

I would not lose any sleep over components on these two bikes. Tires (esp. air pressure, but also thread) will make the biggest difference in how they ride. If the bike feels very sluggish, investigate higher pressure slicks; it the ride is harsh, try lower pressure ones. Other than that get what fits you, and enjoy.

Others may know more though.

PS. I have San Jose, which apparently uses the same frame as Volpe (only with different dropouts). Very nice frame, but I would not get it if it didn't fit .