View Single Post
Old 07-24-09, 09:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Joako
Any updates on your replace [w] hub tcs? Is it a reliable hub?
I have about 600 miles on my new [w] hub and have had no problems.

Yet.

Originally Posted by tcs
... AFAIK there are no instructions for (W) disassembly. Is it the same as the previous design? Probably....
I suspect it's a pretty different design. The shift cable on the previous (non-W) pulled from the bottom, so (facing the hub from the right side) pulling the cable (to downshift) rotated the pulley counter-clockwise; the shift pulley on the newer (W) hub pulls from the top, so pulling the cable (to downshift) rotates the pulley clockwise. I'm not sure about the following, but I suspect it means a lot of the innards of the hub are different and some of them probably unscrew in the other direction from the earlier hub.

Since my new hub was provided and installed in a competent bike shop, I'm planning to have them do all service on it, at least until I'm quite sure the warranty is used up.

Last edited by rhm; 07-24-09 at 10:03 AM.