ravnhaus
Ravnhaus

Bikes: '05 Gary Fisher Tassajara, '94 GF Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsor
Concerning niacin....do you have any trouble with rash/hot flashes? It damn near set me afire at 1000mg.
When I first start using it the effects were more intense. My skin felt like sunburn feels on the third day, sort of tight and tingly. They lasted about 20 min at first and then less as time went on. After a couple of weeks I hardly noticed them at all. I still get a little flush every now and then, but I am used to it and it is really no bother. I think a lot of people get put off by that and they don't stay with it long enough.
I take one dose right before bed, so I never notice that one. The other I take right after lunch on a full stomach.
It may not be for everyone but it sure is working for me. Flushing is the only side effect I have ever had. After reading all the dangers and side effects of statins and comparing them with niacin it was an easy decision for me.
We are the test generation for the statins. Who knows what the future will show about these drugs. I hope to avoid them if possible, however I definitely do not want a stroke. If I feel I need them I will use them.
So far good eating, exercise, and niacin seem to be doing the job. I do also take Omega 3 fish oil pills, which may also contribute.