View Single Post
Old 07-26-09, 04:38 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Considering what hoods go for it may be advantageous to buy NOS levers with good hoods and reselling the bare levers.
Problem with that is it can be really difficult to get the hoods off without tearing them.

The $50 World Logo repro hoods are actually not a bad deal, in my opinion. I have two pair, one on my '71 Colnago and one in reserve. They're quite well done. Whether or not they're a better deal than NOS Shield Logo hoods really depends on the bike. On a '71 Colnago they're a nice detail, and Shield Logo hoods just wouldn't look the same. I think the $50 hoods are a reasonable alternative to NOS World Logo hoods that may not last very long anyway and may tear when you go to put them on. If period correct isn't an issue, I'd just as soon use Modolos or some other reasonable substitute, especially for a rider.