Old 07-27-09, 06:26 AM
nuvolari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Converting hybrid to road (for comfort, utility, and speed)?

I bought a cheap Schwinn hybrid from Target this Spring after my 30ish-year-old Schwinn road bike finally got to a point where it was unrideable last Fall. I've been having a lot of minor problems with the new bike that are getting really annoying, and ended up test-riding some nice road bikes. The speed, better acceleration, and better comfort (drop bars) have me hooked. However, with the thinner tires and road saddle, my seat comfort leaves a lot to be desired (roads and paths around here have quite a lot of bumps, cracks, holes, etc.), and a lot of my riding is recreational and I end up taking quite a few things with me (picnics, etc.), so the ability to mount a rack (which most road bikes lack, minus seat post-clamping racks) is important.

So, it turns out that one of the LBSs near me has two carbon 2009 Trek 7.9 FXs significantly discounted right now. I've been toying with the idea of buying one and installing drop bars and maybe Rival on it. It's super-lightweight like the carbon road bikes I was checking out, and the added comfort from the rubber shock absorber in the seat stays and the ability to mount a rear rack are big pluses to me.

Besides cost, is this a crazy/stupid idea? Serious thoughts, please. Thanks.