View Single Post
Old 07-27-09, 12:30 PM
trueno92
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
They stopped making them when the UCI changed the requirements for race-legal wheels. For road races, they require a wheel with at least 16 spokes. Regardless of the fact that most consumers of the wheel don't ride in races governed by the UCI, that will kill a market and has done so for other products. Mini clip-on aero-bar-esque extensions come to mind. Spinergy didn't stop making Rev-Xs because of their failure. In fact, the continued making them because they improved them. They stopped because they were banned in international competition and that spells doom for a product.

Or, alternatively, we can let internet word-of-mouth lead to lots of fearmongering. Whichever.

this poster is correct.

I have used the power of the interwebs and consulted industry experts such as Damon Rinard (the guy who posted that huge database of wheel lateral stiffness tests, now working with Cervelo) and also Kraig Willet, who once worked with spinergy, now with Trek; regarding some of the issues with the rev-x and why it ceased production.

He no longer had ANY affiliation with Spinergy when he posted a lengthy article on his frustrations with the UCI, and consequentially, how the UCI can make or break a product, especially when it comes to an industry so heavily bent on marketing gimmikery, such as cycling..

Its the UCI's inherent French background, and subsequent pairing alongside another French wheelmaker that permanently shelved all one-piece wheels in mass-start racing.

If you acquired a wheel that had never had an issue and was treated normally, then you should not have an issue. any questions with this wheel, or whatnot, post back!

I have had considerable experience with a later gen rev-x and from bashing it on the same streets you probably frequent, I have not have had any issues, noises, cracks, explosions, etc.