View Single Post
Old 07-29-09, 08:51 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I do not wear a helmet for my commute. Less than a mile.

I wear a helmet most of the time when road biking, but on long, hot climbs often take it off and hang it on the left brake lever for the climb.

"Reality is another as they will all end up in a nursing home as moosh instead of dead when they get hit hard enough. "

This is far from reality. Millions in Europe ride without helmets and their nursing homes are not filled with bike crash victims.
Yep, they also don't have the stupid and fast american drivers on hummers doing 75 MPH on a 45 MPH zone tossing bottles at cyclist or passing them by really close as they hit the horn just 'cause it funny.

Originally Posted by maddyfish
Reading this thread I think a lot of you seriously over estimate the abilities of a little styrofoam hat.
You obviously have not seen first hand the difference between someone that wears one in a minor accident and someone that does not. You would be amazed how much a little styrofoam makes in those cases. But it is your choice. More veggie for you!!

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
well soon that problem will go away... once obama care passes, its free healthcare for everyone!!!
No such a thing as free buddy. You and I will still pay for it. One way or another.

Originally Posted by markwebb
Heck, most people can run faster than I can cycle, so I don't get this helmet thing.

Seriously, I do get a laugh at all the over-protective parents who put helmets on kids riding training wheelers or Big Wheels.
Anybody over the age of 40 should recall the days when no one wore helmets. Folks my age that started cycling way back in the day we never wore helmets, and I never saw anyone die from a wreck.

When I started racing they made us wear those leather hair net sorta leather helmets.

I think riding a bike 15mph and wearing a helmet is a little over the top nowadays, but I am now a conformist and wear one 100% of the time.
That is also the same generation that remembers how smoking a cigarette was the cool thing to do, how dying during childbirth was a common and "normal thing", and how cancer was a way for god to take away the good people.