View Single Post
Old 07-30-09, 07:56 AM
njlonghorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 45suited
You should try the climb off Mountain Ave that starts with the rt 22 overpass. Take the first left at Middlebrook rd and then the first right up Washington Ave., which will bring you to Hillcrest. If you are coming from Washington Valley Rd. you would go down Vossellar and make a left on Brookside Drive then up Strangle this will bring you down it. There are parts on it that are 15%.
I don't know why I didn't think of that climb. My son has a friend who lives on Washington Avenue, right at the switchback. That's about 8-10 miles from my house, so I could get there and back in about 70-90 minutes, including a walk up to the top the first few times. :-)

I imagine it'd get a bit hairy if a car were to approach right at that switchback. Otherwise, this seems like a reasonably safe climb.

Originally Posted by 45suited
Also , you could try the Ravine Lake area off 202. Douglas to Mountaintop is one of the longer climbs I have found in this area. Douglas Rd is pretty torn up but the nice thing is there are hardly any cars on the ones I mentioned.
I'm not familiar with this area -- will have to check it out. Thanks for the tips.