View Single Post
Old 02-26-05, 09:36 PM
nycm'er
militant commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look Ma its me! This is what happens in NYC on the last Friday of the month, around 8pm, if you ride though a GREEN light with an undetermined number of other bikes. I can't really get into details, but me and another rider pictured agreed to "Courteous Mass", went one block down 17 from Union Sq. waited at the red at 5th Ave, the rest of the ride went through, we got nabbed as the cops caught those who obeyed the signal. (Note: the one time I have obeyed a signal in days, I get arrested) The charge is parading with out a permit. The cop loudspeakers were saying that it is illegal to be in a procession with bikes in New York City. We asked cops before the ride what defines a procession. NONE could tell us. Not a guess at a number, nothing. I was obeying the law as were the other 6 who went for the ride to the station. I believe the 26 street and broadway bust yielded 6 to 8 more. (as well as one flying tackle on a smallish woman.) The 26th street peeps came to the 9th precinct with us. There may have been more who were taken to other precincts. The Cops were very professional and rather nice. My arresting officer (pictured) was very gentle. We were out in @3 hours; our bikes are still in the Stir though.
I have heard that posting pics is not that easy, so some nice witness did it for me, thats my Surly, my taped up beater.

Good eye Yosh.