Old 07-31-09, 04:21 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Cheap $10 dollar light on the handlebars/fork just shows where my wheel is pointed and they are generally too dim for some dark areas I go through. I'd have to brake downhill to maintain reaction time based on the short distance they toss light.

The heavier $60 handlebar light I have "drifts" and has to be repointed and sometimes the road buzz shuts it off but it lets me see where I am going, not just provide a modicum of visibility.

The helmet light allows me to shine a light into car driver's eyes or wherever but they aren't so good for general "being seen" since they are narrower beams. They need recharging every 2 hours but are really light (Blackburn Flea).

A "miner's cap" light was cheap, bright, good battery life but probably would go right through my skull into my brain if I crash. And it's a little hot on my forehead.

A small $20 flashlight I velcro to my helmet has great throw, lots of lumens, and uses $10 of funny little lithium batteries in 2 hours (not rechargable). I only turn it on when I have a very short segment of really dark road -- the kind where I can't see the edge of the road which is disorienting to ride on. For that purpose it works great but it's a little pricey as a primary light.

Blinkies - I use one on the bike saddle and another on a pannier. They aren't very good in twilight. I've had a few escape on bumpy roads.

Flea rear blinkie - I put one on my helmet adjustable strap (in the back) and have also used that on one glove. The jury's out.

Amber lights seem like they would be more legal but I haven't seen them.

The worst problem I have with see/be seen is when I have a divided 6-lane suburban intersection to cross. It has a stop sign for all directions. The drivers just don't see me when I am stopped even if I have taken the lane. I've had several near misses where cars still did not see me when I panic-stopped less than a foot from their vehicle (when I had right of way). There are no provisions for pedestrians and it is not safe to cross halfway. I've also seen drivers cut in front of FIRETRUCKS running lights/sirens in this area.