Old 08-01-09, 05:46 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
The part I can't imagine is going through 90 degree turns at 35+ mph! We went down a 6 lane wide hill then made a right onto a 5 lane road that still was downhill. I was letting a little gap open up through the turn early in the race and had to work hard to close the gap when I needed to be soft pedaling. As the race progressed I figured it out and got to the point where I was in my 50/12 and pushing pedal into and through the turn.
A couple years ago when I was using a coach I had the fitness to hang on those type of rides. What I never had and probably never will, is the ability to let the bike go through the corners. So I would get gapped at every turn and would shy away from tight quarters. Because I didn't want to piss off the other riders I had to ride at the rear of the pack. Eventually the rubberband would break and I would get dropped. Even today I habitually brake before every corner. If I can't see through it I slow down. Ya can't race like that. I've had a couple good wrecks over the years and I have made the conscience decision that there is never a good reason to lay the bike down. It was frustrating when I used to outclimb guys only to have them blast by me on the descents. It's all a trade off I suppose. My family can't afford for me to be laid up.