View Single Post
Old 08-02-09, 10:06 PM
orcanova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullforce
I'm asking everyone's opinion because after several weeks of anticipation, I finally got a day off to go ride bikes. The LBS I went to has two major brands: Cannondale and Specialized. Since it is apparently time for them to receive the '10s, they have limited stock. They sized me for either a 54 or a 56 (I am 5'11", 175 lbs., 48 years old). I have ridden a cromoly Diamondback hybrid for 20 years; I ride on multi-use, paved trails, about 12 miles a day, 4-5 days a week as fast as I can. I have been running out of gears since the large chain ring on my bike is a 48. I have saved up around $2000 for a new (or used) bike. The first bike they suggested was a 54" Specialized Roubaix Comp. I liked the smoothness (the seat, the shifting), but the bike seemed almost identical to my hybrid in terms of maximum speed. Next, I rode a 56" Cannondale Synapse. Although this bike had the exact same gearing, and I rode it on the same path in the same way, I had two extra gears at the top end (I still don't understand why unless it was the larger frame, but the I don't know what this suggests), and it hurt my wrists, and I hated the seat. The third bike I rode was a 56" Cannondale Six 5 which was the bike I LOVED (even though they told me that I wouldn't because the geometry was more aggressive (This surprised me because I was concerned about the same thing). It was comfortable in the wrist area, and it was FAST (It has a 53 rather than a 50 so I got going much faster), but After I got off the bike I realized that it was very bumpy in the rear whenever I went over rough spots in the road, I didn't like the seat, and it had problems shifting even though it had identical components to the other bikes (even after they adjusted it). I then tried to ride a CAAD9 5 (everyone's favorite, but they were sold out in my size. I was considering riding a CAAD9 7, when the salesperson (who basically worked with me for six hours) suggested I try the Specialized Tarmac Comp (It is on sale for $2099, but it is blue). So I rode the 56" Tarmac Comp. The salesperson (an older man who riders both a Specialized S Works and a Cannondale Super Six) told me that he prefers the Cannondale ride. Riding the Tarmac gave me the responsiveness of the Cannondale Six (and the 53 chainring), the comfort of the Synapse and Roubaix (both in the tail and in the wrists), was 105 all-around, I liked the seat, and it shifted like a dream. The only thing I did not like was was the blue color. So I have put 25% down on this bike, but before I go back to get it next week, I need some input because I am not an expert, I do not have the means to buy a new bike every couple of years, and I know that there are more experienced riders on this forum who may have suggestions. So should I buy this bike or keep looking?

I'll read it (maybe) if you insert some breaks between paragraphs.