View Single Post
Old 08-03-09, 07:56 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with one 20x72x1.75" 40oz Thermarest, because I was too cheap to buy something comfortable. Several years later I compounded my error by getting another identical pad because I thought I could double them up for sleeping or lay them side by side in my two person tent when "just chillin'". I also bought a Thermarest chair to go with the Thermarests.

Well, that seemed like a good idea when contemplating my options and their combinations in the REI showroom with the clueless clerk rooting for the larger sale. But when I actually got on the road I found out that the two stacked pads slip and that the issue of comfort also entails the pad's width, the problem of which was exacerbated by the now 3.5" height. And I rarely took the time to set up the Thermarest chair. Oh, and I was carrying 80 oz of sleeping pad.

My Exped Synmat 7 Deluxe is 2.75" thick and I only bottom out when sitting on it with my knees up. I am 6'2" and 160 lbs and have a long (6'6") bag so I like the 76" length and 26" width. And it's 38 oz. The internal hand pump requires a practice to become proficient, but I have great hopes that I won't miss the self-inflating feature of the old-school Thermarests. I'm leaving for another tour this Friday (Calgary to San Diego), so I'll have some chance for field testing then.

Cliffmat, I suggest that since you're not leaving until next year you should wait for feedback on the Thermarest NeoAir. With the large at 19oz, I think it could be worth the wait. And the large seems not readily available at the moment anyway. You'll need to think through the thermal insulation issue for yourself: I expressed my view plainly above. But I am functionality first, weight second kind of guy who (tries to) tour warm, safe, not-hungry, and not-thirsty while completely self-supported - other than for consumables like food, fuel, and water. Plus I like to plan for the reasonably unexpected. Do you know that at this moment it is 39 degrees F in Waterton?

Last edited by Cyclesafe; 08-03-09 at 08:05 AM.