View Single Post
Old 08-04-09, 02:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by leftcoast
I understand that their frames are made oversea's however I assume all these frames are made over sea's now, Correct?
The Sherpa frames are made in Canada. The Trek 520 frame is now made in Tiawan. The aluminum Cannondales are still made in the US (I believe).

If you go with the Sherpa, realize that the smaller frame size may match a larger frame sizes for another bike (eg, like the LHT, with a straigher top tube).

If you are planning on riding on gravel roads, keep in mind that you want clearance for wider tires (even more clearance if you want to use fenders too). The LHT has a lot of tire clearance. The Sherpa appears to be nearly as good (if it's not the same). Note too that wider tires increases standover height! (And you might want more standover height for rougher terrain).

The Sherpa's triple is considered too high for loaded touring (but it works fine for day rides). That is something that could be changed.

Brifters are more expensive to replace plus they put all of your eggs in one basket. They are quite convenient, though, especially when riding with a fast-paced group.

The aluminum Cannondale touring has a very long pedegree as a touring bicycle. The Trek 520 is a bit different than the prior models but I'd be quite surprised to find out Trek "broke" it!

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-04-09 at 02:43 PM.