Old 08-04-09, 04:17 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I also charge $40.00 Cdn (35.00 U.S.) for a basic tuneup (no parts) which will get the derailers and brakes adjusted, the bearings will be checked and adjusted, the wheels will get a minor true, and the bike will come back clean and shiny.

My policy is to tell folks this is the base price and that if less is needed I will adjust the bill and if additional work is needed will call for approval unless pre-approval has been given. Just about everyone pre-approves any minor parts like cables and brake pads.

For those folks that complain about the price they have to understand that we are working on bikes that are new to us so besides the actual work, we have to go over the bike to check everything. I always test ride bikes after they are done as many issues can not be detected on the stand.

A complete tear down and overhaul at my shop runs $90.00 plus parts so will usualy cost around $120.00 unless major parts need replacing.

I am not some 20 year old newb looking to make some part time money or get a shop discount and have been told by quite a few people I am the best mechanic in the city.

That isn't quite right as there are 2 guys I would trust to work on my bike... one is in Australia and now has his own shop.

Both have worked as mechanics at our co-op and have incredible skills.