cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You'd have to have the figure of fatalities per miles traveled to do that.
It's impossible to do a fair comparison since cyclists and motorists don't necessarily do the same kind of miles, especially commuters. Drivers are much more likely to drive on a freeway, and to drive farther and also to add "elective" miles to their route. I bike to work, and if I want to shop on the way home I pick a store on my in-town route. If I were in the car, I'd likely take a much wider loop to to go to a store with parking so I'd put in extra miles. A lot of excess driving is done for that reason: "because I can," so it's unclear whether you should compare bike and car fatalities per mile or per trip.

According to Prof Ulrich, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1335210 citing earlier research, the operator fatality rate per mile for cycling is about 6 times higher than for driving, but I think we were also talking about the dangers of these modes of transport to other people, not just the driver/rider, so I'll have to look up those stats elsewhere. Also, many of those cyclists die in collisions with cars, so since I was talking about how dangerous the vehicles are (which is what you responded to), at least some of that risk has to be attributed to the cars. In contrast, very few car drivers are killled by bikes.

Last edited by cooker; 08-05-09 at 02:13 PM.