genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Serge *******
Gene,

Most cyclists believe they are second class users of the road, or at least ride as if that's what they believe. In turn, that's how most motorists treat them. As a result, it's no surprise to me that you can find example after example of cyclists, even cops who are cyclists, who agree with your terrified perspective.

All I can tell you is that once I took it on faith that motorists will treat me respectfully if I rode vehicularly, and rode accordingly, they did. To me, that was convincing of one thing: the greatest factor by far in determining how motorists will behave with respect to me is my own behavior. The bonus is that since I control my own behavior, I also have direct control over the main factor that influences motorist behavior towards me.

The flip-side is that if you believe the opposite, or something close to it, that no matter what you do there are motorists out there who will gun for you, so to speak, and you ride according to that belief, then you will ride as if you believe you are a second class user of the roadway, and will in turn invite the very kind of motorist behavior which you fear.

Motorists are like dogs. If you act like the Alpha, they'll treat you like you're the Alpha. If you show your fear to them, they will take advantage of it.

At least that's my experience.

Serge

Very typical response... Now what if you act like the Alpha dog and a bigger Alpha bites you?

Serge, I used to ride as if I was bullet proof... just like you do today. Now I am a bit more conservative in my riding. I have encountered the response of idiots behind wheels.

Good luck.