View Single Post
Old 08-10-09, 05:52 PM
deitman
IrvineDan

Bikes: 1996 GT LTS-1, 1998 Trek 2300, 2009 Trek Madone 5.2 (6/1/09)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fine. I can live with being called a Helmet Advocate, but not anything more than that.

Helmets are what allow me to spell correctly, use correct grammar, and hopefully add something to the original post. I agree with lowlife1975 in that we're better served helping each other out with a kind word than with a shout while passing by that urges conformity. We all have anectdotal evidence (I've broken two snowboarding helmets and three bicycle helmets in crashes in the past 15 years while coming to a "sudden stop") that helmets help survivability, just like the early arguments for seat belts. Until someone does an actual study, or engages in an activity where the risk to themselves results in a decision to wear a helmet, live and let live.

I'd much rather shout at the people doing 25mph on a multi-use trail, blowing by families out for a walk, giving the rest of us a bad name. I'd much rather shout at a driver that nearly hits a group of cyclists while talking on his celll-phone while driving. I'd much rather see if anyone in this post so far has been wearing their helmet enough to find the spelling errors.

And I'd shout if those socks didn't match the streamers and saddle on the bike.