Helmet-Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
ALL bike lanes are not the same.
Gene, I'm not saying ALL bike lanes are the same in every respect.

I am saying all bike lanes are the same in at least this one respect: a lane designated for cyclists which is painted alongside vehicular lanes and from which motorists are generally restricted from driving.

Do you agree ALL bike lanes are the same in at least this one respect?

If not, can you provide even one example (hypothetical is fine) of a bike lane that does not fit that description?

If nothing else, can you at least acknowledge that my argument applies to all bike lanes that do share that characteristic?

Originally Posted by genec
A dress is "an outer garment (as for a woman or girl) usually consisting of a one-piece bodice and skirt."** But as different as a peasant dress is from a black cocktail dress, so too can bike lanes differ in their actual implementation.
But if someone presented an argument about ALL dresses based on their shared characteristic of having a skirt component (as opposed to pant legs), would you try to argue that that argument can't apply to ALL dresses simply because all dresses are not the same?

Pointing out that all bike lanes are not the same does not refute my contention that my argument applies to all bike lanes, past, present, future, real, abstract and fantastic, assuming all bike lanes share this one characteristic: a lane designated for cyclists which is painted alongside vehicular lanes and from which motorists are generally restricted from driving.

If you have a huge jar of jelly beans and you pluck them out one at a time, and each one is black, but you never get to the bottom, can you say for certain that all the jelly beans in the jar will be black?
Of course not, but you can say they are all candy (or they wouldn't be jelly beans!), and, for example, if you were on a strict no candy diet, then you wouldn't have to examine each and every jelly bean (just because they're all different) to make sure there isn't one that happens to not be candy. Just because they're not all the same doesn't make it possible for even one of them to be acceptable food for someone on a strict no-candy diet.

So, I'll try again...

Given that ALL bike lanes are "lanes designated for cyclists which are painted alongside vehicular lanes and from which motorists are generally restricted from driving", and my critique addresses all lanes that are "lanes designated for cyclists which are painted alongside vehicular lanes and from which motorists are generally restricted from driving", will you agree to stop saying that my argument does not apply to all bike lanes?