View Single Post
Old 08-15-09, 11:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
I'm sympathtic, having had this happen from time to time myself. It's especially easy when working on modern right-side-rear-wheel spokes because with their high dish these tend to have ultra high tension. Here's a few hints.

1- as others have said, good spoke wrench fit is critical, or use a well made four corner spoke wench which works like a box wrench. And make sure to fully engage the flats on the nipple.

2- when building new wheels, build them over dished too far to the right, and do all the work there until the very end, where you'll use the looser left spokes to correct the dish to the left and add bring the wheel to full tension. Done right you won't need to turn those over tight right nipples.

3- a handy DIY tool for working on very tight wheels is a cut down broom handle. If you need to turn a very tight nipple, inset the handle btween the rim and hub and use it to gently lever the rim over so as to tke some tension off that spoke. (Don't get carried away, it's a good way to potato chip a wheel) With some tension relieved you're less likely to round off the nipple flats.

4- live a good life, and don't give the gods any reason to punish you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.