View Single Post
Old 08-16-09, 09:46 AM
DACriss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions on a Schwinn Passage

First off I would like to say that I'm new to this form, so if I have posted incorrectly sorry.
I have a Schwinn Passage S/N: SJ599015 that I purchased new in 1985 and have not ridden very much. My son is now riding it, so I'm trying to improve/up-grade it. The brakes that it came with by today’s standards were OK to good, but never great to excellent. (I currently ride a Giant NRS2 and it will stand on its nose if you want). The brake pads are original and I know they need replacing. Have read on this form that Kool Stops would be a good choice, but what about converting to a front disk? I know this conversion would mean new fork, clamp, disk caliper, and hub for around $300.00 cost of the project. I'm just wondering if new pads would do the trick, new longer lever rim brakes or if the disk conversion is where I should be headed. Keep in mind that I most likely will not be selling it and up grading, but I'm not sure how much riding he will be doing. (He is headed back to college and would like to ride there about 8 miles). I'm also looking at up-grading the shifter to the handle bars and possibly the rear from a 5 speed to?
Thank you for any help that anyone can provide.
DACriss