View Single Post
Old 08-17-09, 07:48 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by chico1st
OK as I dont have tensiometer, should the spokes be making high-pitched twanging noises when i tighten the nipple? They also make shorter high-pitch EEEEEEE noises... like a VERY short twang. Is that normal?
On tight wheels, spokes often twist, pinging and creaking, as you turn the nipples, especially when truing older wheels. The problem is thread friction, both because of the tension and because of possible corrosion or simple dryness in the threads.

Put a drop of penetrating oil at the end of each nipple and spin the wheel to drive it down into the threads to reduce thread friction and the torque needed to overcome it.

There's also the possibility that the nipples are sticking to the rim, especially if you have non-eyelet rims. Rims are drilled after anodizing so the sides of the holes are prone to corroding, which binds the nipples. Again this is more of a problem with age or all weather riding. Same trick with spinning in oil, except now apply it at the base where the nipple exits the rim.

Using better fitting spoke wrenches is one part of the solution, the other is reducing the required torque. Doing both should solve your nipple rounding problems.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.