View Single Post
Old 08-18-09, 07:19 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloria
. . .

A.Winthrop -- I did see renehersebicycles.com. At first I thought it was an enthusiast website; then I realised it was a modern builder who bought the name. Personally I am not a fan of that business model, but I suppose it is better that he bought the name, than a mass-producer in the Far East.
That would be Mike Kone, who bought the name with the blessing of Lily Herse. This isn't the same
as say Bikes Direct buying the Motobecane name (among others) and slapping it on just any bike.
Mike and Mark Nobliette (sic) are building modern bikes, in the best style of Herse. They are truely
carrying on the marque, not just the name.
Look at the web site and look at the work being done, also look at the NAHBS photos from either
last year or this year (forget which) for details of the work being done on the new Herse bikes.
I think (and I guess Lily Herse agrees) that Rene would be proud of what is being done in his name.

that said, I hate the buying of names and putting them on trash bikes. Hell, I don't even like
the 'new' Hetchins.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.