View Single Post
Old 08-19-09, 05:39 AM
Mike T.
All-round nice guy.

Bikes: Kish road bike, Seven mtb, Marinoni road and track bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Along with the other posters I agree that the problem lies with build quality rather than parts choice. The wheel would have had insufficient tension and unequal tensions. Those two things are the biggest factors in the longevity of a wheel and they are both as equal.

Machine-built wheels (as are on your bike) are notorious for poorly tensioned wheels. This leads to early metal fatigue.

2.0/1.8/2.0mm gauge of spoke will be ideal and will also absorb shock loads better than a 2.0mm plain gauge spoke and thus will give a wheel that can absorb better. Spokes like DT Competition and Sapim Race are ideal and very high quality.

Find a good wheelbuilder and get them to re-build with new spokes. Of course finding a wheelbuilder is easy but finding a good one is a lot harder. You could even do it yourself and with the correct information you could do a better job than a poor "wheelbuilder".

Read my wheelbuilding tips and you will gain the knowledge for what is needed in a search for a good builder or for doing the job yourself. The link to Roger Musson's wheelbuilding e-book at the end of my info would be the best click you could place.