Old 08-19-09, 07:33 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
There are several things that I really like about the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes - spin up easily, they roll really well, the wrap around tread means no transitions when changing lean angles, the flat protection has served me extremely well, excellent traction in the wet and when leaned over, good grip when on the brakes, very bright reflex sidewall strip, ride very smooth, the tread pattern is deeper than it looks on their website... On an 18mm rim, they actually measure their marked size - go figure!

At about $50 a tire, they seem expensive. But considering I was fixing 3 flats a week, they are a really good buy - for me.... I have not flatted once in about 9 months. They have some cuts in the rubber, but nothing has ever gotten thru them.

As I said before, the mix of sizes was an eye opener for me. I really liked the 40s after riding the 45s that were OEM on my Specialized Crosstrail. Then switched to the 35s, which seemed quite a bit more harsh riding. However, the handling was much improved over the 45s, and the 40s.

While trying out the 35s, I was in the process of switching back to the 40s, and still had the 35 on the front. The handling was just as quick and precise, and the snoother ride returned with just the 40 in the back. These tires rode much better than the OEMs.

Having the mix of sizes, and keeping both pressures at 85 PSI, gives me about the same deflection, as they carry much different weights, given the front/rear weight bias.

They are wearing much better than I thought they would - but, I'm usually easy on brakes, and no powerhouse when taking off ---- LOL. They have several thousand miles on them now, and are still in very good condition.

The only negative, is a slight singing when at speed (above 15 MPH.) This is not obnoxious, but it is there, just enough to know they are there. It also got better (more quiet) with mileage. (or I just don't hear it any longer.)

I'd buy another set without hesitation - wait a minute, I already did....... (but, I'll keep watching the sales, because they aren't cheap)

Last edited by Wanderer; 08-19-09 at 07:37 AM. Reason: more info