Old 08-20-09, 05:12 AM
tallnlanky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be Nice To The Newb

Hey all,

For my first post on BF I am about to ask a question that is totally newb. I know that most forums are pretty hard on the new guys and stupid questions are mostly answered with sarcasm. So I'll introduce myself first to let you know I'm serious.

I am a runner by choice, and have run numerous marathons and ultramarathons, and too many half marathons to keep track of. But I am starting to wear some of my running parts out and am looking to get into long distance biking as an alternative. I know a thing or two about endurance and nutrition, body chemistry, and sports injuries. But when it comes to getting on a bike I know nothing more than my young son. I can get on a bike and crank out about 20 or 30 miles no problem, but long to go much further. So here's my question:

How does a person learn to bike long distance? Being a runner, I like training plans; I can't seem to find any for biking though. How far? How often? What mistakes to avoid? How much do I really need to spend for a bike that I won't grow out of within a year? Is there a book that has all this info? I have the desire, the fitness, and probably the money that's needed to go long, but no idea how to do it.

FTR, I live in a small isolated community without a bike shop, bike club, or even any friends who do this sort of thing. So I have no references and no support. I'll be a lone ranger! But that's the way I like it.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.