View Single Post
Old 08-20-09, 05:51 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
When people want a bike, and I give them the rundown, and they still want a new one, I can finally point to something out there that's new and affordable and will help my LBS stay in business.

There are some who think the new steel Allez will be a great #2 bike for some buyers and entry-level for others. That's fine.

The possibility exists that it becomes an entry-level buyer's #1 bike, and then that person goes C&V for $200-$300 for their #2 bike, which is pretty cool. Now we've got a rider and a C&V fan.

Taking it further, the same person realizes that they have under a grand into not 1 but 2, count them, 2 bikes, both of excellent quality and quite rideable. What's another $200-$300 for them to pick up another C&V?, and have 3 bikes for $1200, the previous decent entry-level price. You can see where I'm going here....we do this all the time, don't we?

The price is going to help a lot of people rationalize their purchase. I know of at least 4 women who'd like to get into road riding, do not want a "used" bike, but would be very interested in the new Allez. My bet is that 2 of them will buy one. And my bet is that their spouses will be 1) glad they didn't spend $1200 and then 2) decide since they only spent $600, another $300 for a C&V bike to ride along on is justifiable.