View Single Post
Old 08-20-09, 08:56 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Long term update: Pacific Reach Offroad

I didn't check what time or distance but here is some feedback regarding my wife's Reach Offroad.

Biggest problem is the front suspension linkages. These have developed a lot of up-and-down play as well as side-to-side so the front wheel is sort of rattling around any old how.

I disassembled the whole lot last night to fix things up. So this is what I found:

1. Suspension elastomer insert/widget: The angular suspension insert is no longer snug in its place but has a bit of play, giving the up-and-down play of the suspension. The play is very small in the widget but it adds up to too much.

To fix it, I smeared the widget assembly with silicone grease and then gunked the whole lot up with sil rubber. Hopefully the grease will allow a painless disassembly next time. Or hopefully there wont be a next time. Any way, the joints are nice a tight and play-free now.

2. Linkage axles have side-side and all round play: Too much. I found some very thin metal foil at work and made shims around the axles to take up any slop.

It seems a lot better now. But it is worrying that the stuff is developing very serious play after not too much riding. Admittedly, she rides a very rough trail weekly which gives those joints pure, hell not to mention grit especially if the trail is wet.

I'll see if I can get some pics.