Old 08-23-09, 11:38 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I suspect your opinion of 29ers would change if based on more exposure to them.

I'll bet that one that BCAC posted above would be fantastic on a gnarly rock and root strewn MTB trail, especially one with good flowing lines. You'd be carrying a cyclocross bike over some of the stuff that bike would glide through. About the only negative thing I have heard from people who ride them is they don't accelerate as quickly as 26" wheeled bikes but once rolling they tend to keep going better.
But this is the point- Gnarly Rocks and roots and I have a bike that does it superbly- It is the mountain bike. I know it will do the most difficult of ascents or descents- the rider may not but the bike will. If the trails got tamer and were just rough trails or really bad surface- Then the MTB will still do it But if it was going to be my main trail riding then I "Might" be intersted in getting a cyclocross bike to do it on. What it would not be is a 29er that I still regard as not the best bike for the road and neither would it be the best bike for my offroad.

Spike Milligan