View Single Post
Old 08-23-09, 06:35 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not that i have anything against epoxy, spent most of the last month bonding stuff in my boat with it. But whatever someone says about a process, you have to check the fine print:

"Realizing that no mass-production operation can afford the Elise's 50-minute curing time (nor would it wish to incur the expense of multiple ovens), Lotus is replacing the heat-cured single part epoxy adhesive used on the sports car, which required temperatures of 180ºC, with one that will cure in the lower heat of the paint oven."

Those are some pretty pathetic limitations to asume in your process. I build stuff in my garage and have a curring oven that heats to 180F (3 x 100 watt lightbulbs), and the cure takes 4 hours. Now at their level they probably don't have a problem curing in their paint oven. But spare me if I don't get all goose pimply over what they are doing. This is a classic pros against joes issue. I would never want to go into the ring with a pro boxer, but often in the crafts there can be an edge for an amateur with a lot of time to waste, though no hope against Lotus. One comon example is when pros can't source materials at the scale of their production, while a Joe can get just about anything on a small scale.