View Single Post
Old 08-24-09, 03:04 PM
currand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this doping?

I go to the allergist a few weeks back because I had an allergic reaction to something (yes, I know, I'm a genius). During my initial work up he gives me a breathing test that measures lung volume and other interesting facts I never wanted to know.

He then has me use an inhaler and then repeat the test 5 minutes later. My lung volume shoots up 1 liter. 25%. My first test (un "assisted") had me at 103% of predicted volume based on my age/size. My post inhaler test had me at 120% or so. I've never noticed that I had problems breathing (occasional shortness of breath when my allergies flared up but no wheezing or anything).

Here's my question. I've never noticed I had an issue while training. But now I have this magic device that gives me another liter of oxygen. I think technically I don't have asthma because I'm not at the magic 80% of predicted volume. But obviously I do because my volume changes 25% (from 5L to 6.5L) with albuterol.

Should I get a TUE and pack my bags for the Tour next year or just keep the inhaler for when and if I actually need it?