Old 08-25-09, 08:47 PM
buffalo_cody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Single Speed Commuting?

Hello All,

I'm getting ready to start biking to school this year, save some gas, and hopefully lose a little weight. I found myself an old Ross Adventurer, I know, I know... not the best bike in the world but my Target mtb was stolen and well... the Ross has to be some improvement over that

And here's my issue, my back wheel is bent and I need to replace it. I started thinking that instead of just replacing it with a used steel wheel, I could buy a new/used aluminium set, which got me thinking about a replacement freewheel, which got me thinking about a replacement derailleur, which all made me realize I live in a flat city, and never make use of multiple gears. So my question is about converting to a single speed (not a fixie), I'm posting here because I think the single/fixie forum may be a little biased.

For commuter use are there any particular advantages or disadvantages to a single speed setup? I also plan on using my bike to go to the grocery store, farmers market, picnics etc., do any issues arise with carrying extra weight on a single speed? Are there any reasons I may not want to convert?

Also, last question. If I convert to a single speed am I required to paint my bike components wild colors, and cover it in electrical tape? Really though, can someone explain the electrical tape thing?

Thanks everyone