Old 08-26-09, 09:23 AM
jslegacy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, long time reader, first time poster in this thread. I would like to give a huge thanks to Psimet for his help and awesome pricing on the two powertaps I bought from him.

The background. This is my first year of racing, thus far I have been using HR based training since the beginning of the year. I would say I have done fairly well for a first timer especially only riding since May 2008.

I will confess that most of my races are triathlons and I know most cyclist dont want anything to do with them but nonetheless I do dabble in the TT frequently.

So far this season I have competed in 5 triathlons, three sprints and two olympic distances. The bike is my strongest event having placed in the top 15 overall in almost all of the races for my bike split. I have done three time trials, a 12 mile flat (29:51), 40k very rolling (63:07), 24K rolling (38:19).

I have two more triathlons scheduled for this season, 9/13 and 10/4 both oly distance.

So here is my question: My wheels will be ready for me to pick up with my new PT hubs on Friday. I am currently reading Training and Racing with a Power Meter and plan on purchasing the WKO+ software in the next week or so.

One of the first things in the book tell you to do an FTP test. I cant do that this weekend but next weekend there is a 12 mile TT about two hours away. Would it be a bad idea to do an FTP test 8 days before another race? Also would a 12 mile TT be a good substitue to an hour long FTP test?

Or should I just play around with the PT until my tri on 9/13? Or play around with for the rest of the season and then focus an FTP test somewhere near my house when I am fully rested?

Sorry for the long winded post but I figured more info is better than everyone just guesing what I have done this season and what I plan to do.

thanks

-jeremy