Old 08-26-09, 03:42 PM
Timber_8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Anybody old enough to remember when Nike, adidas, et al. came out with "crosstrainers" in the 80s? It was supposed to be a do-it-all athletic shoe. Except that it was too heavy to run in, not enough support to play court sports, and too ugly to just walk around in.

Hybrid bikes remind me of crosstrainers.
I understand your analogy, Jack of all, master of none & too a degree you are correct. Hybrids cover many tasks. They are geared to pull trailers or loaded panniers great for shopping, kid hauling, the same bike can be used for commuting to work or school at a decent speed. Flat bars offer better control when carrying extra loads. Clearer view and comfort with there upright position. It's ability to cover many terrains and climb hills with a load. I agree it is not a choice for everyone but these characteristics are valuable to many, People living car free, Commuters, Couriers, Homemakers, not to mention it is the ultimate 2nd bike for people running carbon. But then there are always going to be people that feel that because they have no use for it that nobody should have a use for it, Go Figure