chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber_8
I understand your analogy, Jack of all, master of none & too a degree you are correct. Hybrids cover many tasks. They are geared to pull trailers or loaded panniers great for shopping, kid hauling, the same bike can be used for commuting to work or school at a decent speed. Flat bars offer better control when carrying extra loads. Clearer view and comfort with there upright position. It's ability to cover many terrains and climb hills with a load. I agree it is not a choice for everyone but these characteristics are valuable to many, People living car free, Commuters, Couriers, Homemakers, not to mention it is the ultimate 2nd bike for people running carbon. But then there are always going to be people that feel that because they have no use for it that nobody should have a use for it, Go Figure
I can do all that and more on my commuter

on my touring bike

and even on my big dummy.

But I do have a hybrid for getting trashed in the salt and snow...

fyi, the bars on the Big Dummy and the Superbe are wider than those on the hybrid...go figure.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 08-26-09 at 05:28 PM.