danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I can't see how forcing cyclists into bike lanes would have prevented any of the three deaths in Idaho. In fact, the incident where the cyclists were riding on the shoulder and were hit by a left-turning motorist seems to be a stark example of the problems with bike lanes.
Good point and I don't have a good idea about how to solve it, except that I think we can agree [he said, trembling and ducking] that we are less visible to left hand turning motorists when we are far to the right, whether shoulder, bike lane or naked FRAP.

I was riding with a friend the other day, following her single file along a typical suburban to country road with a wide, smooth, clean shoulder when at intersection, a stopped car looked like it wanted to turn left. We made eye contact and he appeared to be waiting for us, then turned left anyway. My partner had to turn right to avoid a collision as I continued straight behind the car.

In retrospect, I suppose we should have been checking behind us more and been riding in the center or right center of the lane as long as there was no overtaking traffic behind us. I've thought of moving to the left in these situations to make it clear to drivers I am going straight thru the roadway, but they might think I was simply preparing to turn right. I'm guessing that many motorists, assuming that all cyclists are stricken with the inferiority complex Mr. Forester writes about, thinks we must only be on the road for as short a time as possible and will turn right to get off of it at the first opportunity.

I've ordered the handlebar mirror from Aspire Velotech to more easily monitor traffic far behind. I realize it is no substitute for checking, but my neck has had trouble with that movement since forever.